Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Sportfisherman’s view of The Night Before Christmas

“A Sportfisherman’s view of The Night Before Christmas”

‘Twas the night before Christmas
and all through the bay,
all the fish were real happy
cause the fishermen were away.

The rods were all hung
in the garage with care,
in hopes that the bluefish
soon would be there.

All the fishermen were nestled,
all snug in their beds,
while visions of rockfish
swam in their heads.

All the boats in their slips
were tied very tight,
and settled at dock
for a long winter’s night.

When out on the river
there arose such a clatter,
I ran to the pier
to see what was the matter.

When what to my wandering
eyes should appear,
but one giant splash
the biggest this year!!!

The Grand Dad of rockfish
I saw in the night,
I just had to know
how hard could he fight?
I jumped off the pier
and ran through the sod,
grabbed a net, tackle box,
and my favorite rod.

Dashed back to the pier
threw open my box,
tried so many lures
put my stomach in knots.

Tried Tonys then Bucktails
from big ones to small,
put on Rebels and Bombers
he would not bite at all.

When down in my box
I saw something squirm,
I reached down and grabbed
a Killer Ice Worm!

It barely hit water
my line got real tight,
I set the hook
and then on with the fight.

The rod bent double
the drag steady bellowed,
fought it three hours
my muscles were jello’d.

Finally landed,
I looked at the prize,
but just couldn’t keep it
you have to realize,

Fishing’s a sport
we enjoy on the bay,
so catch and release
is the only way.

As I released the fish,
believe it you might,
he said to all fisherman large and small,
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

<")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
Capt Frank J. Tuma
http://www.DownTimeCharters.com
<")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">


No comments: